Admission Details for Patient: Ellen Jones (4247)
Name Mismatch: 4247 , 6547
Gender: Female Age: 54
Marital Status: Widowed Religion: Calvinist Methodist
Address: Llanfair Mathafarn Eithaf, Anglesey
Date of Admission: November 29, 1890
Date of Death: August 9, 1891
Cause of Death: Cancer of liver/exhaustion
Disease: Melancholia (subacute)
Supposed Cause: Pain in the knee
1. She is under the delusion that everyone is going to kill her, also that she is being burnt in hell. She was very violent when I examined her. Evan Williams, Llangefni. November 28th 1890.
Approximate duration of present attack: 1 year
Number of Previous Attacks: 0
Number of Previous Admissions: 0
Number of Subsequent Admissions: 0
Total Number of Admissions: 1
Relatives affected: Nephew
Clean Habit: Yes
Food Refusal: No
Sleep Habit: Fair
Destructive Habit: -
Physical/Mental State at Examination: Health moderate. Patient has been a widow for many years. Keeps house for her 2 brothers. An Hered. taint is to be traced. No definite exciting cause but is said to have had some disagreement with a man whom she was keeping company (with).
Current Diagnosis: Delusional Disorder (F22.9)
1890 Dec 3 - Patient is a woman of medium height and built. Is moderately well nourished and seems to be in fair health.
Upon admission her manner and conversation were quite rational, frequently however she has become cross and agitated crying out that she is going to be hanged and bewails the fact that she has only one tooth - indeed many of her sayings are extremely ludicrous.
She says all this in a sing song nasal tone like a Methodist preacher when fully wound up.
(Dates of subsequent notes obscured by Death Certificate).
- Is suffering from Diarrhoea of a Dysenteric nature. Frequent small stools of a dys. nature. Temp. averages 99 F. Very difficult to manage.
Filthy habits and cannot be kept clean.
Takes food and medicine readily.
- Has been under active treatment since last entry.
Seems to have recovered but is weak and is on full extras with stimulants. No mental improvement. Very droll and amusing but of FILTHY (sic) habits.
- Is now much stronger and is got up daily but is very averse to doing so and shouts and screams wishing to return to bed. Constantly crying and bewailing herself. Has a deluded and distorted view of all that goes on around her.
- A dirty and troublesome old woman.
- This old woman becoming jaundiced during the last few days, examined and found the same to be consequent upon Carcinoma of Liver probably Encephaloma. She has probably been suffering from the same for 2 or 3 months but has shown nothing amiss until the Jaundice showed itself.
1891 July 20 - Weaker. Liver enlarging rapidly.
Confined to bed. Aug 8 - Dying of Exhaustion.
Medications/Treatments: Full extras and stimulants