John Elias was born in 1774 near Pwllheli and in the early part of the 19th century he became one of the most popular and powerful preachers in Wales.
He was ‘John Jones’ but took his father’s name to avoid confusion at his ordination in Pwllhelli. Three other ordinands called John Jones presented for ordination the same day!
By this time he was living at Llanfechell, near Cemaes, in Anglesey where his wife kept a shop. She died in 1828 and two years later he married the widow of Sir John Bulkeley of Bodedern in the Welsh Church at Liverpool.
After this marriage he moved to Llangefni where he is commemorated in the Moreia Chapel, Glanhwfa Road. He died in 1841 and was buried at Llanfaes, near Beaumaris.
 National Library of Wales Dictionary of Welsh Biography